You can help your preschooler develop their sense of humour with this hilarious collection of laugh out loud jokes for 4 year olds.
Did you know that kids have different levels of laughter?
There’s the one at the surface – a cheeky giggle – where they’re looking hard at you to see if you find the thing they’re laughing at funny too. Almost like validation that what they’re laughing at is indeed funny.
And then there’s the full on belly laugh, where they just can’t control themselves and end up rolling on the floor unable to talk because they’re laughing so hard.
Developing a good sense of humour is a really important life skill for kids to learn.
It helps to build self-confidence and provides a safe space for them to make sense of the world around them. Humour provides an outlet to overcome fears and anxieties.
And it also reinforces social norms too.
Telling jokes – and hearing jokes being told – is a key socialising tool for toddlers and preschoolers.
The good news is that it’s super-easy to make preschoolers laugh! All you need is a handful of funny jokes (think dad jokes!) to share with your kiddos.
They’ll be happy enough to hear – and tell – the same kids jokes again and again!
So lovely mummies, I’ve put together this list of 25+ jokes for 4 year olds that will have your little ones laughing like drains.
All of these hilarious jokes have been tried and tested on my own girls, GinGin and Roo, who agreed these are the funniest jokes for preschoolers!
Jokes for 4 Year Olds
1. What’s red and goes up and down?
A tomato on a trampoline
2. What’s green and goes up and down?
A grape in a lift (elevator)
3. What’s red and smells like blue paint?
4. What’s the difference between a fireman and a soldier?
A fireman won’t fit in your dippy egg
If you’re enjoying these preschooler jokes then check out this collection of toddler knock knock jokes that will actually make you laugh!
5. What’s brown and sticky?
6. Why did the sand blush?
Because the seaweed
7. What do you call a deer with no eyes?
No eye deer (idea)
8. What do you call a deer with no eyes and no legs?
Still no eye deer (idea)
9. What do you call a dinosaur with one eye?
10. What’s black and white and red all over?
A sunburned panda
11. What do you call a sheep with no legs?
12. What do you call a fly with no legs?
13. Why did the cow cross the road?
To go to the moo-vies
14. Why was six scared of seven?
Because seven eight nine
Want to keep your little one busy this Halloween? Here’s 31 quick and easy Halloween crafts for toddlers and preschoolers – that’s one for everyday in October!
15. What do you call a gorilla with bananas in his ears?
Anything you like, he can’t hear you!
16. Why do penguins carry fish in their beaks?
Because they don’t have pockets!
17. What do you call a donkey with 3 legs?
18. What do you call a man with a seagull on his head?
19. What do you call a man with leaves on his head?
20. Why did the jelly wobble?
Because it saw a milk shake
21. What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
22. What do sea monsters eat?
Fish and ships
Discover how to quickly and easily make puzzles at home for your preschooler
23. What do you call a train with a cold?
Achoo choo train
24. What’s a Martian’s favourite food?
25. Where does the queen keep her armies?
Up her sleevies
26. What do you call a bear with no teeth?
A gummy bear!
27. What did the policeman say to his tummy?
“You’re under a vest!”
28. Do you know the difference between a postbox and an elephant’s bum?
Then I’m not giving you this letter to post!
Jokes for Four Year Olds: Concluding Thoughts
So there you have it, 25+ of our favourite jokes for four year olds. Try them out with your little ones. I’d love to know which jokes made your kids laugh hardest. Let me know in the comments below!
Or if you love jokes and have a fave not listed here, feel free to pop it in the comments below for others to share and enjoy!
Read these posts next or bookmark them for later:
- 25 Chores for 3 Year Olds (that are age appropriate!)
- How to Brush Toddler Teeth (without a battle!)
- 75 Activities to do at home this summer
- 12 Best Toddler Strollers
- Free Printable Easter Bingo Game
Join My Facebook Group
Come and join my Facebook group for mums to share our experiences of parenting. We chat about the highs, the lows and everything in-between of this little rollercoaster called motherhood. I like to think of it as a place for the school-run-mummy-chats, without the hassle of the school run.
Why not follow us on Instagram too 🙂